Right in the beginning of Week 4 my mentor proposed to merge all the coding I've done so far to the master branch of pma. So I spent most of the time formatting the code, adding localization and tracking down bugs which were plentiful, since I didn't test my code with all configurations.
That and other problems (1. git making problems because my repos is synced over dropbox, 2. my wife's flight on Friday got cancelled due to technical problems, 3. my hurting shoulders force me to make regular breaks from the PC) kept me from reaching all the goals I planned for this week.
What I did this week:
- Clean, localize and fix my code for merging it to the master branch
- Process/Connection charting on the status page
- Server variable editing on the variables page. This will be really helpful for users tweaking mysql server performance. Also the table width adjusts to the window width now, because long variables cause the table to be over 100% wide, through that you can't see the variable name and it's value without scrolling horizontally.
What I will do next week:
- I probably will need to spend most of the time to flesh out some concrete concepts on how to make good use of the slow query log and general log. Simply displaying those tables will not result in something useful, so it might be a good idea to instead generate charts over the log data. That will require more research on how performance issues can be pinned down with those 2 logs. So in the process I also might have some starting point for a sort of 'performance advisor' system that I planned. Secondly, I guess I will have to build myself some sort of testing environment, that is, simulating heavy load on my local mysql server.
- Also I still hope to implement the data selection for table charting that I planned to build last week.