Saturday, July 30, 2011

The extinction of the MySQL Tuning tools

On my journey of implementing tuning/optimizing tools for phpMyAdmin I've came across many already existing open source tools in that area.
I'm starting to realize though, to my surprise, that most of these tools haven't been updated or gained new features for a year or more. You rarely get to read recent blog postings about variable tuning either.

The most well known tools are:
  • mytop - Like the *nix top but for mysql threads. Last release is from Feb 2007
  • mysqlreport - '...makes a friendly report of important MySQL status values'. Last release on April 2008 and official statement of no longer being maintained.
  • mysqltuner - makes tuning recommendations. Last release from April 2011 but from what I could see only bug fixes and cosmetic changes since it's first release in 2008
  • mysqltuner 2.0 - a misleadingly named mysqltuner fork by Sheeri K. Cabral. Last release in April 2010. Was only active for 5 months.
So I'm quite baffled that I seem to be the only one who's currently working on a open source MySQL tuning tool, despite the fact that MySQL is getting quite popular nowadays. I really wonder why so little progress is being made in this direction. Though, I'd love to hear that this is not the case and there's is some recent tools I just haven't found.

Either way, while looking at the tools, I saw that mysqltuner 2.0 uses a comprehensive set of rules to build the recommendations. Since it has been build by a database professional, actually quite a celebrity in the db world, from what I could read, I will probably use it as the basis for my suggestions/advisory system. Gladly the GPL-License allows me to do so :)
This is very useful since it will save me a lot of work "inventing" the recommendation rules, for which you need a lot of MySQL experience.

Also I'm the only pma gsoc student that posts project related stuff which is not a weekly report! :(

[Edit 31.07.11] Ok, I just ran into all the more recent tools that I failed to find, the most extensive one being maatkit. Definitely gonna check out that one!

1 comment:

  1. This may be useful: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2008/11/21/how-to-calculate-a-good-innodb-log-file-size/

    ReplyDelete